Online Classes with Skillshare
Skillshare is a learning community for the creator in all of us. Get inspired, join a class, and create something you'll love.
On Skillshare, students watch classes at their own pace, create projects to practice what they’ve learned, and interact with each other from all around the world. As a teacher, you get to facilitate this unique learning experience, and that all starts with understanding the 3 pillars of Skillshare’s pedagogy.
Skillshare classes, on average, include 20-60 minutes of pre-recorded video content broken down into a series of short 2-5 minute videos. Rather than teaching a broad, sweeping skill set, the most successful classes hone in on one specific project, concept, or skill. This succinct and digestible format allows for focused and engaged learning.
All classes on Skillshare include a fun project that helps students practice and share with the class community. Creating and sharing projects, and giving and receiving feedback, are the heart and soul of engaged learning. For many students, receiving peer and teacher feedback is their favorite part of Skillshare life. And for many teachers, seeing their students' work is one of the most rewarding parts of teaching.
Skillshare is different from other online communities. Here, open, personal, real connection makes everyone feel included and welcome, and makes sharing feel safe. We work hard to cultivate trust in our community and so do all of our teachers! It is reflected in everything we do: from our class guidelines to our brand identity. And it should be reflected in everything you do, too: from the classes you make to the way you communicate with your students.
Skillshare is a good learning platform that offers great value for money. For 15/m or 99/y you get unlimited access to over 20,000 classes. You can start as a free member or take a free trial. Learning in classes, workshops, and LIVE is simple and engaging. Skillshare helps learn and improve skills.
Skillshare divided their classes into 4 categories: Creative, Technology, Business, and Lifestyle. As of March 2021, Skillshare has over 27,000 classes. When I first joined the platform, there were 21,000 classes. But don't let those numbers fool you. Although I think that Skillshare grants you unlimited opportunities and that there are a lot of high-quality classes with superstar teachers and great content out there, I also stumbled upon some courses that were poor in quality. Keep in mind, that almost anyone can become a teacher on Skillshare. So even though the bad quality classes are often being removed from the platform, once in a while you may come across one. That is why I advise you to always read reviews from other students prior to taking any class.
But let's be honest here, you probably won't need all 27,000 classes. Trust me, even 1 hour a day makes a great difference.
Skillshare is about gaining practical knowledge, learning new skills, expanding your horizons. These classes also look good on your resume. After you create a project during one of your Skillshare classes, you will receive a URL that can be showcased in your resume, portfolio, or elsewhere.
- You can use Skillshare for free.
- There are more than 2,000 free classes available.
- These are usually high-quality classes. This is a Skillshare initiative and there are paying teachers themselves.
Cons of Skillshare free membership:
- You only have access to free classes.
- As a free member, you can't participate in workshops.
- You can follow the groups, but you can't participate in discussions.
What are the benefits of paid membership?
- It cost $8.25 per month if you chose an annual membership and pay $99 right away. ($59 during January)
- Even if you prefer to pay month by month it would still cost you only $15 monthly.
- With Skillshare premium you get unlimited access to all Skillshare classes.
- You also get access to any course, tutorial, and workshop.
- You can join groups and take part in all discussions. Ask questions, post your projects, share different ideas and experiences; Skillshare is a perfect place to connect with like-minded people. This makes learning much easier and a lot more fun!
- Since you get access to thousands of classes, you may end up taking the course you never thought of taking, and actually loving it! Skillshare encourage to expan horizons.